Online Study: Graduate
On-campus and distance-learners are taught by the same accomplished professors. This is a fully integrated model of online instruction with established quality:
- Peer rating praise is given to online graduate program in DesignIntelligence – "Cited for its distance education program and the number of alumni who are in well-placed academic positions."
- Faculty are active scholars with outstanding credentials.
- Online courses provide flexibility.
- MU Libraries actively support online learning with resources and services.
- Graduate student distance-learners participate as a community of scholars. Program offers optional one-week, on-campus summer seminars to all department graduate students. Graduate student distance learners are encouraged to attend these for-credit seminars to meet colleagues and to become engaged academically, socially, and professionally.
- Addressing the demand of design educators seeking advanced credentials, the first online doctoral program at the University of Missouri was in Architectural Studies. To date, it is the only online doctoral program for Interior Design Educators (IDEC affiliated).
The Department of Architectural Studies offers 100% online graduate education (see Course Descriptions) in the following formats:
- Stand-alone courses for non-degree graduate students. Students select online courses from an extensive menu for professional advancement. Up to 12 hours of graduate credit taken as a non-degree graduate student may be applied to a graduate degree program upon approval of the academic program if the student is accepted.
- Design Research Concentration as stand-alone coursework or as part of masters or doctorate. Read more about the Design Research Concentration at Mizzou Online.
- Master of Arts in the major area of Environment and Behavior. Read more about the Master of Arts degree in Environment and Behavior at Mizzou Online.
- Master of Science in the major area of Environment and Behavior. Read more about the Master of Science degree in Environment and Behavior at Mizzou Online.
- Doctor of Philosophy in the major area of Environment and Behavior. Read more about the PhD in the major area of Environment and Behavior at Mizzou Online.
Graduate courses are delivered as:
- Asynchronous or Synchronous. Asynchronous coursework is completed independently according to the provided schedule. Synchronous courses will include real-time discussion during arranged weekly class periods.
- Semester-based or self-paced online. Read more about online course types.
See Mizzou Online for a complete listing of online course offerings. All graduate core courses are offered online. Transfer of credit to a degree program is allowed with the approval of the student’s adviser and approval of the director of graduate studies and Graduate School. For more information on University policies and procedures, see Graduate School.
MU Libraries Serving Architectural Studies Students
- Library Resources for Distance Learners
- Undergraduate Library Guide for Architectural Studies Students
- Graduate Library Guide for Architectural Studies Students
Military Tuition Award
Exemplary eLearning – Architectural Studies
Completed doctoral alumna, Dr. Jan Parker of Dallas, TX tells her story:
Completed doctoral alumna, Dr. Kandace Fisher-McLean tells her story:
Sarah Angne, Interior Design Instructor, Art Institute of California-Inland Empire.
Sarah Angne, Mizzou Online doctoral student.
Roy Young, Mizzou Online doctoral student.
Roy Young, Curator of Education, Fallingwater.
Graduate Summer Workshop.
Dr. Schwarz advising on Skype.