Tenure Track Assistant Professor in Interior Design
Posted: Jan. 4, 2018
The Department of Architectural Studies at the University of Missouri invites applicants for a tenure-track appointment at the Assistant Professor rank with an anticipated start date of Fall 2018. Our program is one of the oldest and continuously accredited interior design programs in the country. We seek candidates with academic training and professional experience in interior design who can integrate innovative interior design pedagogy in interior design studios and lecture courses at the undergraduate level. The successful candidate is expected to play an essential role in our graduate program, leading graduate-level seminar courses and supervising graduate projects as well as doctoral dissertations. We encourage applicants whose scholarship falls into one of the following areas aligned with emerging departmental and campus priorities:
- Health and Well-being: Emphasis on a human-centered approach to promoting human health and well-being through the built environment. School of Medicine and the University of Missouri Healthcare facilities are located on the main campus providing numerous research collaboration opportunities.
- Sustainability: Emphasis on social or technical dimensions of sustainability to inform the design of high-performing architectural interiors.
Our program encourages interdisciplinary research, and we welcome varied theoretical and methodological perspectives. Currently, we have research collaborations with the School of Medicine, the Thompson Center for Autism, the College of Engineering and the College of Education. We invite candidates who can collaborate with faculty who share diverse viewpoints. We are seeking a good colleague who can make a positive contribution to the missions of our department and college as well as the university. More information about the Architectural Studies Department is available at http://www.arch.missouri.edu. The salary for the position is commensurate with qualifications and experience, based on a nine-month tenure-track appointment. Further questions regarding the position may be directed to the search committee chair - Dr. Bimal Balakrishnan. He can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- PhD in Architecture, Interior Design or related-discipline at the start of tenure-track appointment. At least one degree in interior design.
- Passed the National Council for Interior Design Qualification (NCIDQ) exam or eligibility and expectation to pass NCIDQ exam within two years.
- Ability to teach undergraduate courses in a CIDA accredited program, including interior design studios and other lecture courses supporting CIDA interior design program.
- Ability to develop and offer graduate courses in healthcare design or sustainability.
- Professional experience with interior design and/or architecture.
- Ability to pursue interdisciplinary research.
- Ability to supervise doctoral dissertations.
- Letter of application stating research and teaching interests
- Curriculum vitae
- A digital portfolio that highlights accomplishments in design, selected samples of teaching outcomes, and research projects (Limit file size to 100 Mb)
- Examples of writing and research (e.g. peer reviewed publications, presentations, posters, etc.)
- Contact information of at least 3 references who may be reached for reference or feedback about the candidate
Review of candidates will begin February 1, 2018 and applications submitted before that will receive full consideration.
Apply Online (Job ID#: 25146)