Tenure Track Assistant Professor in Interior Design
The Department of Architectural Studies at the University of Missouri invites applicants for a tenure-track appointment at the Assistant Professor rank with an anticipated start date of Fall 2023. Our program is a hybrid program in interior design and architectural studies and is one of the oldest and continuously accredited interior design programs in the country. We seek candidates with academic training and professional experience in interior design who can integrate innovative pedagogy in studios and lecture courses at the undergraduate level. The successful candidate is also expected to play an essential role in our graduate program, leading graduate-level seminar courses and supervising graduate projects. We encourage applicants whose scholarship falls into one of the following areas aligned with emerging departmental and campus priorities:
- Health and Well-being
- Environmental and Social Sustainability
- Learning Environments
We are seeking a good colleague who can make a positive contribution to the missions of our department, college, and university. Our program encourages interdisciplinary research, and we welcome varied theoretical and methodological perspectives. We invite candidates who can collaborate with faculty who share diverse viewpoints. Preference will go to candidates who have social research experience and can contribute to our Environment-Behavior graduate emphasis area. The preferred candidate will have at least one terminal degree related to interior design. Preference will also be given to candidates that have National Council for Interior Design Qualification (NCIDQ) certification or eligibility to pass the NCIDQ exam within two years. The salary for the position is commensurate with qualifications and experience, based on a nine-month tenure-track appointment. More information about the Architectural Studies Department is available at http://www.arch.missouri.edu. Review of Candidates begins November 15, 2022. Applications will be reviewed on a continuing basis after this time until the position is filled.
The University of Missouri is fully committed to achieving the goal of a diverse and inclusive academic community of faculty, staff and students. We seek individuals who are likewise committed to this goal and our core campus values of respect, responsibility, discovery and excellence. We are an Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled and Veteran Employer. To request ADA accommodations, please call the Disability Inclusion and ADA Compliance Manager at 573-884-7278. Contact Human Resource Services (firstname.lastname@example.org) for any question about the application process.
- A terminal graduate degree in Interior Design, Architecture, or related discipline
Candidates will be evaluated on:
- Ph.D. in Architecture, Interior Design or related-discipline at the start of tenure-track appointment
- At least one graduate or undergraduate degree in interior design if terminal degree is in another field
- National Council for Interior Design Qualification (NCIDQ) certification or progress towards completion within two years
- Ability to teach undergraduate courses in a CIDA accredited program, including interior design studios and other lecture courses supporting CIDA interior design program
- Professional experience with interior design and/or architecture
- Ability to pursue interdisciplinary research
- Ability to supervise doctoral dissertations
- Connection to professional organizations
- Certifications in addition to NCIDQ such as LEED AP, EDAC, and/or WELL.
- Record of successful scholarly activities including publications and grant activity
- Letter of application
- Curriculum vitae
- Teaching Philosophy
- Research Statement
- A diversity statement that describes the candidate’s experiences, commitment, and goals in regards to incorporating an understanding of diversity/multiculturalism in teaching, and mentoring
- Sample of a scholarly product (e.g. peer reviewed publication, presentation, poster, etc.)
- A digital portfolio that highlights accomplishments in design, selected samples of teaching outcomes, and/or research projects (Limit file size to 100 Mb)
- Three references with full contact information
- Review of candidates will begin November 15, 2022, and on a continuing basis until the position is filled.