There is only one Mizzou
The University of Missouri was established in 1839 as the first public university west of the Mississippi River and the first state university in Thomas Jefferson’s Louisiana Purchase Territory. MU is a land grant university, a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities, and accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
- Award-winning PhD teaching faculty are recognized by DesignIntelligence. See faculty credentials.
- We are committed to integrating digital media with the learning of design. The Immersion Visualization lab "iLab" provides research opportunities and the Cynthia Adams Francis Collaboration Lab supports synchronous online distance education.
- Our Advisory Board is a dedicated group of practicing professionals involved in academic development, student career development, internships, employment, and financial support. They come to campus both fall and spring semesters to meet with students and participate in mock interviews and thesis critiques.
- Nationally recognized speakers come to campus each semester. The speaker series is supported by two endowments.
- Scholarships and study abroad opportunities are available to students.
- The Council for Interior Design Accreditation (CIDA) accredits the BSHES interior design program. The interior design program has had continuous accreditation since 1972.
- The accredited interior design program and online graduate program are nationally recognized by DesignIntelligence.
- Our PhD program is one of eleven in the nation and the only online program.
- The Department is the home of the federally funded Great Plains ADA Center with a 5-yr grant at $1 mil/annual.
- Our outreach includes Extension activities, speaker series, community service, cooperative agreements, national memberships, and leadership.
- Our program has enjoyed a long and accomplished history.
- BS HES Architectural Studies Department: 168 undergraduates
- Interior Design Emphasis: 46 Interior Design majors
- Architectural Studies (pre-architecture) Emphasis: 59 Architectural Studies majors
- MA/MS (Masters – online and resident; part-time and full time): 7 students
- PhD HES Architectural Studies (online & resident; part-time & full time): 27 students
- BS HES Architectural Studies: 34 students in two emphasis areas with 23 students in Interior Design and 11 students in Architectural Studies
- MA/MS: 6 Masters – online and resident
- PhD HES Architectural Studies: 7 Doctorates – online and resident
Minority Undergraduate and Graduate Enrollment2: 12.2%.
Undergraduate Degree Completion and Retention/Attrition for Department
Students enter the undergraduate professional program by taking Studio I in their first semester sophomore year.
- Undergraduate completion is: 86% in 4 years or less; 90% in 5 years or less; 93% in 6 years or less.
- Alumni Follow-up: 74% (25) employed in design field; 18% (6) accepted in a graduate Master’s degree program; 8% (3) unable to contact.
Specifics on Interior Design Student Achievement (CIDA program):
- Retention for student cohort beginning professional program / Graduation rate completing degree: >100% in 5years or less (includes transfer students).
- Post-graduation rates of employment in design field 83% (19); acceptance into graduate programs 13% (3); 4% (1) unable to contact.
1 Quantitative data are provided by the MU Office of Institutional Research for posting in 2017. Enrollment data reflects 2016 HES Statistics Report, 2015 Fall Census, and 2014-2015 Academic Year students (Fall, Spring, Summer Session).
2 Minority headcount includes African American, American Indian/Alaskan Native, Asian/Pacific Islander, Hispanic and Multiple Race/Ethnicity. Percentage enrolled excludes Non-Resident International and Unknown ethnicity in the base calculation.
Download printer-friendly PDF of Consumer Information.