Below are the laptop requirements for Freshman and incoming students.
- MS Office
- Windows 11 or 10
- Autodesk Programs (AutoCAD, Revit, 3D Studio Max)
- Adobe Creative Collection
- 3D Modeling (Rhinoceros)
- Different courses and studios may require additional software to be announced by instructors (Enscape, Twinmotion, Lumion, etc.)
Technical Specifications: Computer specifications for Architectural Studies are different from the rest of the College of Arts and Science. Please note this before making a purchase from TigerTech at MU Bookstore.
- Windows 11 or 10, 64bit
- Please note that some software used in our courses will run only on 64-bit Windows
- Intel or AMD multi-core processor
- Minimum Quad-Core.
- Dedicated Video Card (GPU)
- NVIDIA GeForce or AMD Radeon, minimum 4GB GPU memory recommended
- Please note that many laptops having integrated graphics cards (onboard GPU) cannot support many graphic programs.
- Minimum 16GB Ram
- Full HD (1920 x 1080) recommended
- A touch screen is not required
- Minimum 1TB
- SSD Drive strongly recommended
- External Hard Drive, Minimum 2TB recommended
- Flash Drive, 32GB recommended
- A mouse
- Architectural Studies laptop policy requires every student coming into the professional program after Portfolio review to own a laptop that meets the specifications listed above.
- Depending on the nature of the course, individual faculty may enforce the laptop policy and require use of laptop in class with necessary software.
- While we recommend Windows platform, students may use Apple products as long as the computer meets the technical specification listed above. Many commonly used software (not all, e.g. Revit) are available on the Mac. For courses requiring software that runs only on Windows, install Windows on the Mac using Virtualization software (e.g. Parallels or VMWare) or Bootcamp (not available on Apple M1 or M2 processors). Students must check with us before buying a Mac.