Please note: The Department of Architectural Studies is not accepting applications at this time as the department is at capacity. We plan to have our system back open for applications for academic year 2023-24. Please direct any comments or questions to the Director of Graduate Studies, Laura Cole, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All application materials should be submitted online by Jan. 5 for Fall admission (apply online) Please include the following:
- Statement of Purpose: Statement describing your goals and objectives for advanced graduate-level work in architectural studies. This statement will be uploaded to the Graduate School online application, be 1,500 words maximum, and include:
- A description of your research interests in architectural studies
- Emphasis areas of interest (design with digital media or environment and behavior)
- The graduate faculty with whom you would like to work and why (we suggest closely reading faculty bios and select publications in advance)
- How this Ph.D. degree emphasis area in Architectural Studies will help you to reach your future goals
- Letters of Recommendation: 3 letters of recommendations can be submitted through the Graduate School online application. At least two of these letters should be from college or university faculty members who can speak to your academic competencies. Professional practice references welcome. All letters should include the association to the applicant and length of time recommender has known applicant.
- Portfolio or Dossier: All applicants will submit an electronic portfolio or dossier. Applicants with a background in design should include a sample of design projects from institutional coursework, independent creative work, writing samples, and/or professional practice. Applicants without a design background should upload a dossier that includes writing samples (completed or published), research examples, teaching outcomes, and/or any other materials that demonstrate readiness for graduate-level work in Architectural Studies. Including a link to an online document or website is preferred by the department, otherwise the file must be a single PDF and no larger than 20 MB.
- GRE Scores: Recommended but not required
- Transcripts: All transcripts of undergraduate and graduate academic work are required. Applicants are required to have a minimum 3.0 average (on a 4.0 scale) for the last 60 hours of the baccalaureate program.
- Non-native English Speakers: (for prospective international students whose first language is not English): See campus requirements
Review Process: At the close of the application period, Architectural Studies graduate and doctoral faculty review the completed file and determine admission status. Each admitted student will be assigned an advisor based on the applicant’s preference and faculty expertise. If advising reassignment is appropriate, the director of the graduate program will facilitate the process.
Non-degree applicants: It is possible to take graduate level coursework as a non-degree seeking student before being admitted to graduate school. If later accepted to the graduate program, this coursework could apply to the program of study. However, taking non-degree coursework does not guarantee admission. Students must go through the formal admission process. See information on non-degree applicants.
• Dr. Bimal Balakrishnan
• Dr. Laura Cole
• Mr. Michael Goldschmidt
• Dr. Jong Bum Kim
• Dr. Robert Walsh